School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Virgo - Understanding the Whole Archetype and its Specific Correlations

Started by Linda, Aug 15, 2010, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda

Quote from: Ellen on Aug 26, 2010, 08:23 AM
I am thinking that perhaps Virgo can be seen in 3 degrees. 

1) Completely unconscious and thus, subjected to patriarchal culture, expresses as blame, sadomasochistic relationship and overall failure to look within to discern the true causes (or, thinking of Sag, to SEARCH within), thus perpetuating the dis-ease.  The existence of this degree in and of itself is an indicator of man-made distortion of natural law. 

2) A transition period: the old way of blame and sado masochistic relationship is not working, but there is not yet and understanding exactly WHAT isn't working and how that "what" is distortion based in man-made law.

3) Conscious awareness and active work towards discerning and working through the causes that are causing dis-ease. 

I suppose you could say there is a 4th degree, and that being full awareness: keeping one's mind in line with natural law and thus not becoming ill in the first place (at whatever level illness might want to sneak in).

Thanks Ellen. 

I have seen the healing process take place exactly in the stages you have described above.

It makes me think just how many people have health issues - the degree of distortion and other past life traumas that have been the cause - and the Virgoan necessity for self-analysis that will be required to regain and maintain health. 

The causes for illness may not all stem from the Virgo archetype itself.  Like Will has demonstrated, skipped steps may be involved, or any other signature in the chart that has not been in line with natural law.  But the Virgo signature would be prominent, I think.

So far "self-analysis" seems to be at the core of understanding the whole Virgo archetype. 

Linda

Quote from: Ellen on Aug 26, 2010, 06:36 PMHe was taught in his class that when you use your gun, you have to shoot to kill.  To me, this shows how discernment (Virgo) gets all twisted around.  If you have a choice to NOT kill and take it, you are held legally culpable.  According to man-made law, killing another is the only option.  This seems pretty insane to me.

Yes, that is insane, and imagine all those innocent people who have been incarcerated due to a distortion such as this.  Again, we are seeing the Virgo/Sag connection to man-made law.

Linda

Quote from: Wendy on Aug 27, 2010, 08:17 AM
..........in all my writings and contemplations about Virgo I have associated patriarchy with the distortion of Capricorn.  Here a feminine earth based archetype has been twisted into the devil itself, rather than honored for the elder wisdom inherent in the sign.

Hi Wendy,

It seems plausible, as you say, that the patriarchal distortion started within the earth-based Capricorn archetype.  

Wendy said:
QuoteDistorted Capricorn is greedy, driven to build to excess, ruling with callousness, coldness, without responsibly managing the communities within their care.  Building on a distorted Sag view.  Surely casting out the feminine aspect of Capricorn, the wheel of time, Mother Nature.

And so many are still behaving just like this!  These qualities really do describe the centuries-long distortions, at the root of the patriarchy.

Wendy said:
QuoteNot sure if this is helpful, but I feel Virgo and Capricorn are misused or misunderstood, even astrologically, in this patriarchal culture.  I guess all the signs are, just as you mentioned.  But I feel it began with distorting Capricorn and Virgo--the two feminine earth archetypes.

Understanding the astrological distortion of the "earthy" Virgo and Capricorn archetypes, will help us really understand how the patriarchy became so toxic in the first place.  

Linda

Quote from: _will on Aug 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
Hi all.  Great ongoing thread on the Virgo archetype.  Apologies if I break the tempo a bit here, but I feel compelled to chime in and provide some observations and correlations that I think will codify much of what has been said so far in this thread about the Virgo archetype.  

There's this client who has a heavy Virgo emphasis in his chart.  Back in Fall of 2008, he woke up with a strange feeling in his leg - it was described as a shooting/burning pain that he'd never felt before.  He hoped it would go away, but over the coming days and weeks, it only got worse.  In fact, it got so bad that he could hardly walk and was frequently incapacitated for hours or even days.  Some days were better and he continued to work out at the local gym when he was feeling good (or the pain was masked enough).  In February of 2009 he was working out at a gym when his back went out again - this time he was out of commission for 3 days - unable to sit, stand, walk - I'll spare the details, but life was pretty much was unbearable.  The condition continued on for a full year, with all modalities of treatments attempted - physical therapy, cortisone injections, acupuncture, NSAIDS, chiropractic were all tried but none provided permanent resolution.  Finally, surgery to relieve impinged nerves in the L5/S1 vertbrae was attempted in October of 2009.  Relief was obtained from the surgery, but the pain didn't really start to subside until Spring of 2010.  This coincided with the client discovering and beginning to practice Kundalini meditation and quantum healing techniques.  I believe it was a combination of this and the allopathic surgery that contributed to his healing.  While not quite 100%, he is now functioning pretty much at a normal level.

The interesting part here is the chart and the obvious signature of Virgo in this whole crisis.  Looking back at the transits, Saturn was conjunct his natal Sun in 6th house Virgo at the same time the pain first showed up in Fall 2008.  Saturn continued on, making conjunctions to natal Mars in Virgo in his 6th house and then to natal Mercury in Libra in the 7th.  And this was all during the time that he was  experiencing pain, restriction of movement, and an inability to assert himself physically.  Also during this time, Uranus was crossing the horizon and opposing Mars.  The symbolism seems very obvious to me - here you have:

- a client who spent a lot of time in the gym pursuing bodily perfection (Sun & Mars in 6th house Virgo),
- experiencing what turns out to be a pinched/restricted spinal nerve (Saturn conjunct Mercury),
- resulting in debilitating sciatica - the distortion of normal electrical impulses (Uranus opposing Mars in Virgo in 6th, Jupiter inconjunct Mars during this time also correlates - per JWG Jupiter correlates w/ sciatica),
- impeding the overall vitality of the physical body (Saturn conjunct natal Sun in 6th House in Virgo),
- the client continuing to think he can go to the gym, assert himself, work through the pain, and continue on the path toward bodily perfection (Virgo masochism) - but resulting in even more pain/limitation
- the client was then forced inward to critically analyze and search deeper for the missing puzzle piece that Virgo is always looking for, but even more so in this time of crisis - asking why is this happening to me (Pluto was also squaring Mercury during this time)

The outcome?  The whole experience has resulted in a soul that has changed profoundly - he now has a much deeper understanding of himself and his Soul's evolutionary path - and this would not have occurred were he not forced, through the significant crisis of physical/bodily pain, humiliation, and inferiority (yes - that happens when you can't walk, sit, stand, or pick up your children) to seriously look inward and seek out alternate paths of healing (discernment of what works for the Virgo reality).   While he had always been interested in meditation, astrology, and a deeper underlying truth about life, metaphysics, and the cosmos in general - he acknowledges that this period was truly a wake up call for him to rediscover these areas and to align with his purpose.  It's also interesting that both the Sun and Jupiter square his nodal axis w/ SN in Gemini in 3rd, NN in 9th House Sag.  

Anyway, I'm not trying to do a full analysis of this person's chart here, but I hope this helps to give life to the ideas and thoughts that have been posted so far.

-Will

Will,

This is a good example of the Virgo requirement for self-analysis before healing can take place - and I like the way you have set it out so clearly.  It's very interesting that the resolution to the skipped steps were met through Jupiter's correlation to Natural Law - with the natural healing coming through Kundalini meditation and quantum healing techniques.

Thank you so much for sharing.  This is very helpful in understanding, step-by-step, how the Virgo dynamics operate.

Linda

Quote from: ari moshe on Aug 27, 2010, 11:20 AM
From the point of view of the non distorted archetype, Virgo correlates to the natural necessity of each soul, incarnated on this planet, to continuously improve upon the natural function of life itself.

The soul will necessarily be engaged in making constant adjustments in order to consciously facilitate alignment with natural law while on this physical plane.

Ari,

Thanks for these insights which allow us to see the non-distorted on-going function of the Virgo archetype.

Wendy

Quote from: Linda on Aug 27, 2010, 09:29 PM

Rad's quote from Pluto in Cap, the USA, the future of the world:  ..........Moon/Lucifer conjunction..........they have managed to make Americans believe that black is white, up is down, etc, etc.......the opposite of what is actually true, actual reality........

What sign is Lucifer primarily associated with?  Scorpio?

ari moshe

Wendy, if adina is watching, i think she share an article she wrote about Lucifer- and it's connection with Virgo Pisces, Scorpio and Taurus. I just can't find it- I think she wrote it...

Here are hte articles JWG has about lucifer:
http://schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/school/articles
the nature of evil and the lucifer workshop.

One thing he says is that the influence of evil can be seen through the Scorpio archetype as well as the Lucifer archetype.

Wendy

Thanks Ari.  I remember reading that article, but didn't recall the details.

I don't usually write this much, but here goes!

So Virgo/Pisces, Scorpio/Taurus...very interesting.  A couple of years back in my research about the Pluto in Virgo generation and Pluto in Capricorn I resonated with Demetra George's book, the Asteroid Goddesses.  She associates Vesta, the keeper of the vestal virgins, to the signs of Virgo and Scorpio giving Vesta dual rulership based on astronomy.

"original zodiac belt...Scorpio was symbolized by a serpent and directly followed the sign of Virgo...the Virgo Scorpio glyphs were similar in design but contained subtle distinctions...Virgo, the M of mother was turned inward and in Scorpio it was turned outward...Great Mother Goddess simultaneously manifested as both Virgo virgin and Scorpio consort.  Only with the ascent of the patriarchal culture was Libra, sign of marriage, placed between Virgo and Scoprio by Greek astronomers whose society created an artificial duality in a woman's sexual identity...the recent discovery of Vesta has given us a means of healing this unhealthy split by reuniting the Virgo-Scorpio themes of this archetype" (124).

"As a result of the rise of the patriarchal culture, the vestal love nymphs (Virgo and Scorpio vestal virgins) were eventually reduced to the barren spinster nuns of the Middle Ages...vestals ordered to remain sexually chaste or be punished to death...to keep vestals from breeding claimants to the throne" (122).

To further add to our discussion here's an excerpt from my writings on the Pluto in Virgo generation:

"To reclaim our sacred inheritance, we have to meet our Plutonian souls face to face otherwise we stay hidden in the shadow of Virgo.  

Traditionally, Virgo has been linked to the planet Mercury, also the ruler of Gemini.  Gemini and Mercury represent the masculine and the ethers, yet Virgo is intrinsically feminine.  And although she is mentally oriented like Gemini, she is so through her devotion and embodiment of the Sacred and Divine bodymind.  

In modern culture, the term "virgin" is misunderstood and portrays virginity as an untouched maiden, pure and chaste, appealing to a sexually dysfunctional culture cut off from the wild, embodied, and self-contained feminine.  No wonder Virgo has been wound up so tight and placed within the realms of the mind-she has been stripped of her body and earthly essence.  

The Virgo archetype developed into a self-focused, self-anointing signature to survive the stifling effects of patriarchal rule.  Defining the essence of Virgo from her repressed history only continues to feed the dualistic shroud the feminine principle has been wearing for centuries, Madonna or whore.  The feminine Virgo archetype split off from her sexuality to survive patriarchal rule, and the consort Scorpio became the "prostitute".  "When "denied her sexual devotion to others (Scorpio) she turns her energy inward (Virgo) to realize the divine union within herself" (George).

In pre-Hellenic cultures the Great Mother Goddess was revered and the true meaning of "virgin" stood for unmarried women who devoted themselves to the sacred hearth and fire of ancient feminine rites.  These vestal virgins were women who embodied the mysteries of the Kundalini fire, bestowing their mysteries through sacred sexual acts of union as a means to embody and create divinity (divine birth, Jesus) and to spiritually awaken their consorts and communities.  

During the rise of patriarchal culture in the Greek and Roman empires, also noted by Demetra George, vestal virgins were enshrined and vowed to chastity as a means to dismiss matriarchal lines and Goddess worship.  Any virgin who strayed from her duty received severe whippings and was sentenced to a slow agonizing death by subterranean crypt.  From this perspective we can easily grasp and understand the ancient and sacred depth the Virgoan archetype carries.  This archetype remembers the pre-hellenic cultures.  

Thanks to the movement of the Moon's nodes through the Pisces/Virgo axis in 2006 and 2007, the sacred feminine was unveiled and awakened in the collective mind, unleashing Virgo the Magdalene from the underworld.  (Virgo is associated with Persephone, Demeter, the Virgin Mary, Mary Magdalene and Mercury, Ceres, Vesta and Chiron).

Virgo wants to perfect, craft, polish, and continually renew and develop towards self-improvement.  She achieves this through noticing every nuance and every microscopic detail of her surroundings and her body.  She is the Mrs. Spock of the zodiac, observing any blemish, any non-essential or unnecessary factor that may distract her from her goal, the art of sacred devotion and healing.  Her critical nature serves as the refining element needed to discern what actually deserves her sacred attention.  

Collectively and personally, it has not been an easy journey for the Virgo archetype up until now.  Hidden in the shadow of patriarchal repression her characteristics become extremely self-critical, thus she seeks constant atonement for the unruly guilt complex she carries, believing she is lacking somehow.  

The Course in Miracles would say this is all of us who have not awakened to who we truly are-the light of God.  In astrological language, this refers to Pisces, the polarity of Virgo.  

Virgo is a mutable sign (changeable), therefore she needs to be mindful as she is easily swayed by outer influences and authorities as she learns to determine her own ground.  If she (or the soul) doesn't know who she willingly (and unconsciously) sacrifices herself.  She is a giver and wants to tend to the needs of others, living out her ancient path of service, therefore, she must be discerning about who and what she nurtures, or she will become devoted to an addiction or outside force (person, place or thing).  Virgo is so precise, though, she sees right through deceptive influences if she is taught to honor her perceptions and trust her gifts.  She needs validation of her wisdom more than ever, especially since outer culture (excessive masculine) has dishonored her role for so long.  

If our wounds (Pluto in Virgo G) are not dealt with directly, we will perpetuate the illusion of separation from our Highest Self, our God source.  When the Virgo archetype remains in constant guilt (shadow of Virgo) she is only lacking what the collective has not acknowledged in her and what she has not discerned within herself-her own sacredness and her sacred place on Earth.  

Because the feminine principle has been barren and misunderstood for so long, she is thirsty for sustenance, and only true sustenance will suffice us now.  Virgo knows the difference.  Remember, she is highly perceptive and acutely accurate.  She will strip herself bare of the nurturance she so needs to stay hidden from the ruling patriarchy that has repressed her in the past, rather than outwardly risk captivity and death again."  

Only two astrological signs are associated with masculine planets, Capricorn and Virgo.  [/b]

Another excerpt from my article:
"Capricorn is the oldest and wisest of the earth elements around the astrological wheel, yet, for thousands of years the Capricorn archetype has been held captive, under the influence of patriarchy, under abuses of power in religion, government, business, medicine, and law.  The original suppression of the feminine at the beginning of the enlightenment age associated the intrinsic feminine and earth-based cultures with the Serpent, the Devil, and evil, twisting and tarnishing true feminine principles, giving birth to a patriarchal Capricorn archetype-Dark Eros. 

The shadow of Capricorn expresses in modern culture because our back has been turned on the feminine. Brutality and violence towards the earth, women"¦fuels addiction and feeds unconscious and conscious aggressive masculine behaviors.  Continuing to regard the elder of the earth signs as a masculine archetype further suppresses true empowerment for us all.  

Throughout the last two decades of the 20th Century, many of us have come into deeper relationship with our inner feminine and masculine natures on a global scale.  Stepping out of the classical roles of what it has meant to be a man or a woman, we reached towards inner union with our highest consciousness, our God Selves, rather than outwardly seeking those qualities through another.  Really, since the 1960s we have been preparing for this phase of evolution, for the Return of the Goddess, and for the restoration of balance.  Who better to guide our return now than the matriarchs of matriarchs, the Empress herself, Capricorn!  

Capricorn riding within the powerful vessel of Pluto, the Goddess of the Underworld, these two feminine archetypes form the deepest and wisest partnership of feminine autonomy in the elements of earth and water, modeling for a culture that has lost their feminine honor.  The time has come to turn the tide towards the feminine and to teach balance, so we may walk hand in hand and rise up to invite the misled masculine into his true form, his divinity.  

Capricorn is internal, primal and feminine, and deeply aligned with the earth, and the establishment of governance.  On her own Capricorn is an elder of high principle, a superior commander, manager, and an authority whose highest interest is the management of responsible growth and administration of communities, business, and the welfare of that growth...  

The element of earth has not been welcomed or honored in our culture; technology, big money, big business, gas guzzlers, fast food, processed food, conventional medicine, addiction, and exploitation of the body have been in the spot light.  Now, as the ancient feminine speaks to the collective through Pluto in Capricorn and Saturn in Virgo, the energy of the 1960s comes to life in new form, and the 60's Generation is called to stage."

To my delight I read this in Stephanie Austin's Mountain Astrologer article on the Cancer Solar Eclipse this summer:

During the age of Taurus (approximately 4000-2000 BCE), Juno was the Queen of the Heavens, representing the triple Moon goddess:  maiden, mother and crone.  Up to Hellenic times (8th century), Hera (the earlier Greek version of Juno) was the Great Goddess, independent and complete, with out a consort.  Later mythic accounts of Juno/Hera's struggles with Jupiter/Zeus reflect the invasion of Indo-Eurpoean tribes and the conflict between matriarchal and patriarchal cultures...Saturn (Chronos in the Greek pantheon) was originally a pre-Hellenic fertility aspect of the Great Mother; Hera became a daughter of Saturn/Chronos [due to patriarchal rule]. 

I hope all of this is not too much?  I can remove some of it if needed.

Wendy

Elen

Hi Wendy,

Awesome!!  Insight after insight!  I don't have time to comment in any detail, but thank you (!) for this.

Peace,
Ellen

Linda

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for sharing your research into Pluto in Virgo, which gives great depth to our discussion.

The natural expression of the earth-based Capricorn and Virgo archetypes, having conflicted with patriarchal rule, became suppressed and distorted over time. 

In the same way the feminine deities who had been worshiped for their earthy nurturance, giving and healing qualities, became subordinate to the masculine deities.

Thus, the Virgo archetype, turned inwards "against herself," became her own worst enemy.

The ancient feminine knowledge, now being reawakened, will help modern humanity align with the balance and harmony of Nature once again.  On an individual level, positive feelings of self-respect for one's feminine powers will be reinforced.

JJ

Virgo archetype in it's essence: In accordance with natural law, the virgo archetype would be aware of the totality of life (pisces) and therefore would automatically also discern that the role it could play would only be a tiny part in relation to that whole, like one cell in the body of creation. Thus a natural humility would be present in the archetype. Therefore it would give rise to the desire to do its job well, in service to the whole, however large or small the role, understanding that it is a necessary (virgo) and valuable (the trine to taurus) part of creation.

Under patriarchy and the subsequent influence of the Garden of Eden Myth, a sense of isolation and disconnection to the whole arises, creating the inner existential void that leads to the inner excuse making, purification, etc that has already been discussed. Under this influence virgo believes that its small contribution is never enough and that daily acts and small contributions of an individual's life are unimportant.

In both states, virgo is linked to ritual or technique. Through ritual or technique (virgo) an individual can create the means (trine taurus) for our own metamorphosis (sextile scorpio) and can link to the whole (integrate/opposition pisces.) This allows each person to gain perspective (virgo) of their natural place in society (trine capricorn.) When not based on natural laws, virgo identifies methods for eliminating the feeling of lack and disconnection from the whole. When part of a natural law society, virgo uses ritual to connect to the already established appropriate relationship to the whole, one of devotion and service.

Virgo under natural law understands cause and effect and therefore can implement (virgo) the necessary methods (virgo) to achieve the desired goals of health and happiness. It understands how to discriminate, what choices to make, (discerning side of mercury) in order to create the desired effects. Virgo in its highest form represents skillfulness in action, called yukti in sanskrit, knowing what to do and when to do it(sagittarius) in relation to the goal. It recognizes how to adapt in response to the ever-changing dynamics of the environment, thus its correlation to natural health traditions.

Virgo also correlates to the archetypes of disciple/mentor. Traditionally the knowledge and techniques (gemini/sag) of an entire (pisces) discipline, skill or trade, has been passed down through mentoring relationships. Through virgo, the torch of knowledge is passed to the following generation. As each generation comes into their fullness (leo) they must be humble enough (virgo) to teach their knowledge (sag) to the following generation for the benefit of the whole(pisces). Otherwise we would find ourselves reinventing the wheel each time from scratch.

Linda

Quote from: JJ on Aug 29, 2010, 02:05 AM
Virgo archetype in it's essence: In accordance with natural law, the virgo archetype would be aware of the totality of life (pisces) and therefore would automatically also discern that the role it could play would only be a tiny part in relation to that whole, like one cell in the body of creation. Thus a natural humility would be present in the archetype. Therefore it would give rise to the desire to do its job well, in service to the whole, however large or small the role, understanding that it is a necessary (virgo) and valuable (the trine to taurus) part of creation.

Hi JJ,

Your above description of the essence of the Virgo archetype is excellent.  You were able to trace, in a logical way, the specific correlations:  its connection to other archetypes, and its role and importance within the bigger picture. 

We are seeing clearly how the sense of isolation and inner existential void came about, and how that lead to the development of the specific personality traits of this archetype.

For me, it was good to learn something new, namely, the disciple/mentor role.  Virgo's make good mentors because they have the capacity to teach all the details, taking a thorough step by step approach.  It also strikes me that Virgo would have a lot of patience in its service to others.

Virgo is emerging as a thoughtful, purposeful, intelligent and skillful archetype. 

_will

Quote from: JJ on Aug 29, 2010, 02:05 AM

Virgo also correlates to the archetypes of disciple/mentor. Traditionally the knowledge and techniques (gemini/sag) of an entire (pisces) discipline, skill or trade, has been passed down through mentoring relationships. Through virgo, the torch of knowledge is passed to the following generation. As each generation comes into their fullness (leo) they must be humble enough (virgo) to teach their knowledge (sag) to the following generation for the benefit of the whole(pisces). Otherwise we would find ourselves reinventing the wheel each time from scratch.

JJ - Great description, and thanks for the insight into the disciple/mentor archetype.

Quote from: Linda on Aug 29, 2010, 02:45 AM

It also strikes me that Virgo would have a lot of patience in its service to others.

Virgo is emerging as a thoughtful, purposeful, intelligent and skillful archetype. 

Linda, your assessment of Virgo as thoughtful, purposeful, intelligent, and skillful resonates with me.  But is patience really a part of the archetype? I thought it was more of a Taurus phenomenon. 

Elen

Hi JJ,

Thanks a million for your post.  Really beautiful to see how elegant astrology is and how much real understanding can come about by grounding one's analysis in astrology itself.  How you presented Virgo in the context of Pisces (the whole), setting up the rest of the analysis, for me was extremely clarifying and insightful.  I also, like others, really appreciated the mentor/disciple association.  Steven Forest also makes that connection; I remember a really great article he wrote in a TMA issue(I don't remember which issue).  I think this association is a really important contribution, especially when one thinks of the healer connection with Virgo.  Our ways of "teaching" in this culture, as I have experienced them, are not oriented around a mentor/disciple model.  There is more the sense of dispensing information and then you go out and figure it out on your own.  I suspect that this very reality contributes to the sense of void that Virgo experiences; perhaps her very nature is to look for that mentor/disciple relationship, to expect it, only to experience confusion and emptiness when it is not there in this world.  But specifically with the healer relationship, to me it is just common sense that a disciple/mentor relationship is really key to ensure solid learning and understanding before one goes off on one's own.  This might be an interesting discussion in itself thinking about the idea that Virgo often doesn't feel ready to go forward.  Perhaps this feeling arises from the very lack of this mentor/disciple relationship/teaching model.  If this is so, then perhaps it IS true that Virgo has to take the leap and proceed when she does not feel ready.  But the reason for that would not trace back to a fundamental failing of Virgo, but to a fundamental missing link in a patriarchal world: the mento/disciple relationship....????

Here's a quote from Wendy.  She's using in a different context, specifically about the madonna/whore split, but it struck me as relevant here:

"The Virgo archetype developed into a self-focused, self-anointing signature to survive the stifling effects of patriarchal rule.  Defining the essence of Virgo from her repressed history only continues to feed the dualistic shroud the feminine principle has been wearing for centuries, Madonna or whore."

Also, Linda, I don't know if I misunderstood you.  I was thinking that Virgo would be both disciple and mentor.  I read your post to mean that Virgo would be mentor only.....?

Will,

Just a thought about patience.  I don't have the definitive answer, but perhaps patience can come into play when thinking about Virgo's trine to Taurus; thus Virgo could easily tap into this quality...?

Peace,
Ellen

JJ

Thanks everyone for your feedback! With three planets in the sixth house opposing Pluto and Uranus in Virgo, I speak from personal experience.

And Ellen thanks for elucidating further upon the mentor idea. I would agree with your statement: "But specifically with the healer relationship, to me it is just common sense that a disciple/mentor relationship is really key to ensure solid learning and understanding before one goes off on one's own.  This might be an interesting discussion in itself thinking about the idea that Virgo often doesn't feel ready to go forward. Perhaps this feeling arises from the very lack of this mentor/disciple relationship/teaching model.  If this is so, then perhaps it IS true that Virgo has to take the leap and proceed when she does not feel ready.  But the reason for that would not trace back to a fundamental failing of Virgo, but to a fundamental missing link in a patriarchal world: the mento/disciple relationship..."

Yes we see this for example in the medical professions when doctors and healers refuse to share their knowledge and take on the leonine position that the knowledge belongs to them alone and makes them special and superior to others. Any profession can become limited, splintered and quarrelsome if the spirit of service is not present. It IS a huge detriment to the continuity and development of the whole of the profession. I myself, as you suggested, have naturally gravitated towards mentoring relationships to satisfy my need for accurate knowledge and quell feelings of lack of readiness.

I might clarify by saying that the lack of mentoring relationships I think is more endemic to modern societies and to the US as a society of immigrants who have been separated from our roots than to patriarchal society. For example, in parts of southern India many professions, especially in the fine arts and healing arts, have lineages where wisdom has been shared for thousands of years from parent to child or within families or through mentoring relationships. Yet the culture is extremely patriarchal and women have been excluded from these traditions for equally as long, although that is changing now very slowly.

Warmly,
JJ